Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A post from the past: March 18, 2009

I am transferring my blog post from Live Journal over here to Blogger. I will start with the newest first so that the last post I post will be the oldest one from LJ.  That way you can scroll down and read it in order. 
March 18, 2009


Here is the BFL that I spun.  This is my first handspun ever. I am new to spinning. I started this fiber on a Kundert drop spindle.  But I am not a drop spindle kind of girl.  So I ordered a Lendrum DT complete.  I waited months and then in December it arrived.  My granddaughter spun on the wheel first while I was drafting for her.

Then I plied hers for her when she was at school.  And I knit her a hat.

Then it was my turn at the wheel and it took a while.  I was doing some knitting projects for Christmas 2008 so finally in Feb.09 I finished my spinning and March 09 finished plying.

The fiber is from Crown Mountain Farms.
Hand Dyed Blue Face Leicester.
8 ounces.
colorway: Mother Earth.
Yardage spun: 223.9 yards. 



 
Here is the roving. I had divided it in half, then in half, over and over till I got this.  I think the drafting a big hunk of fiber is beyond me being so new.  I found that if I divided it to a small size then I could draft and spin.  It also preserved the colors better.  When I tried to spin with a big hunk of roving it was mixing the colors and making this green and brown turn to MUD.





I love how my yarn turned out.  I have 223 yards so I either want to make mitts or a hat?  What do you think would look good with this handspun yarn?
Here are the pics of my granddaughters spinning. I love how well she did. She is 7 years old.


This is Blue Face Leicester fiber from an etsy store.


Here she is practicing with some fiber before spinning her rainbow BFL.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment