Thursday, August 23, 2012

A post from the Past: June 23, 2008

I am transferring my blog post from Live Journal over here to Blogger. I will start with the newest first so that the last post I post will be the oldest one from LJ.  That way you can scroll down and read it in order. 2008 to 2009.

June 23, 2008  Felted Hat



I made this hat for my daughter in law for her birthday. (along with 2 pairs of wool socks). It's funny to give her wool clothing when her birthday is July 1st. But she will need them later in the year.

I also made these earrings



I know, the earrings don't match. That is the beauty of them LOL. There are 2 beads on one and 1 bead on the other that is larger than the 2 beads. The beads are black onyx & opal. I had lost one earring and when I ordered more beads they came smaller. So I just put 2 on. The Dragon Fly is sterling silver and the other findings are sterling as well. There are 2 swarovski crystals.




So my felting process is to wash the crocheted hat in the washing machine. I put the oversized crocheted hat in a pillowcase to catch all the lint that will come off. I wash on a long cycle, on the hottest temperature I have. This hat I washed 3 times. The first 2 times it didn't shrink to my liking. I want it to shrink so that I can't see the stitches. So on the 3rd washing I took it out of the pillowcase and let it be free with the other laundry in the machine. It came out perfect. Then I stretched it over my glass jar that I use for a form and let it dry. (see May27th post on the jar).

So this hat doesn't have the flare out like the first one but I like it. 

The gray yarn and the blue yarn are 100% wool. The multi colored yarn is recycled sari silk.



No comments:

Post a Comment