Thursday, August 23, 2012

A post from the Past: May 27, 2008 - First Socks ever

I am transferring my blog post from Live Journal over here to Blogger. I will start with the newest first so that the last post I post will be the oldest one from LJ.  That way you can scroll down and read it in order. 2008 to 2009

May 27, 2008  My first socks ever


I am addicted to Sock Yarn. I have to admit I will spend hours looking at blogs or yarn store websites just looking at SOCKS. I love the self striping sock yarn. I only want to knit them in wool or wool blends since if I am going to put in the time I want these puppies to last.
Here is my first attemp at knitting a pair of socks.
Ahhhhhh don't look at my dry legs!! we are in winter in this pic and boy do I need lotion!!!!!



This is before they were washed. I didn't know about SWATCHING so I just measured my guage after I had knit the ankle part. I was off but I said "I love this yarn and kept on knitting."
I later did stop and knitted a swatch, it was off a little so I learned a lesson. Always always Swatch!!!!!
These were knit on 3.25mm DPN's. See 2nd pair of socks below knit on 2.75 DPN's and story.

So here they are on my feet.





They are a little droopy at the ankle. They have to be the most comfortable socks in the world. I knit them with Felici Self Striping yarn from Knitpicks.

Now I am on my second ever pair of socks. I am almost done.
They're are for my daughter in law Anne for her birthday (7/1) yeah I'm early but I didn't know how long it would take to do 2 pairs of socks and a hat.




I am using Austermann wool yarn with Aloe Vera and Jojoba in the yarn to make your feet soft. They make your hands soft to knit them.
I don't like the color much, I am a bright color kind of gal, or an earthy kind. So I showed them to Anne and she loved them. She tried one on and loved it. But I let her look in my "Stash" (yes I already have a stash) and she picked another yarn for me to make a SECOND pair!!!
Well it's ok cuz I am having fun.
Yes I swatched this pair. The swatch came out a little small so I thought "I'll knit a little looser". LOL.
I am using size 2.75mm DPN so what I did was order a set of 3.00mm DPN's for my next set of socks. That is because I already swatched the yarn she picked out and I was still knitting tight. The yarn for the next pair of socks is ON-LINE Supersocke 100 and the color is Tropic, very pretty. 
I like how these socks are coming out. I think I solved my droopy ankle problem with doing the ribbing all the way down. 



This sock has a different pattern for the heel. It is a K1 S1,repeat then on the wrong side you purl. The turn of the heel is a triangle shape where the Felici sock had a retangle shape heel (bottom). I am not sure which I like more.
I was able with this 2nd pattern to close up the holes when turning the heel. See my first sock holes.



I will continue with this pattern for a few more pairs and then watch out, I am going to try a cable or some kind of interesting pattern (easy). Any suggestions????




No comments:

Post a Comment